Dionysiou Monastery (Athos)

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m (rv vandal)
m (rvv)
Line 1: Line 1:
WITH LOVE FROM EBAUMS WITH LOVE FROM EBAUMS WITH LOVE FROM EBAUMS WITH LOVE FROM EBAUMS WITH LOVE FROM EBAUMS WITH LOVE FROM EBAUMS
+
{{Athonitemonastery|
 +
name=Holy Monastery of Dionysiou|
 +
rank=Fifth|
 +
type=[[Cenobitic]] Monastery|
 +
founded=1300s by St [[Dionysios of Koreseos]]|
 +
superior=''unknown''|
 +
size=''unknown''|
 +
location=Southwest|
 +
language=Greek|
 +
music=[[Byzantine chant]]|
 +
feasts=[[January 7|St. John the Baptist]]|
 +
}}
 +
The '''Dionysiou Monastery''' is one of the twenty monasteries located on the peninsula of [[Mount Athos]] in northeastern Greece. The [[monastery]] is on the southwestern side of the peninsula. Dionysiou ranks fifth in the hierarchical order on Mount Athos and is dedicated to St. John the Baptist.
 +
 
 +
==History==
 +
Dionysiou Monastery was founded in the fourteenth century by St. Dionysios of Koreseos. The golden bull (chyrsobull) authorizing the founding of the monastery was signed in 1374 by Alexios II Comneno. A treasure, the bull is kept in the monastery. Construction proceeded with financial aid from emperor Alexios III Comnenos.
 +
 
 +
The monastery is built along the western coast of the peninsula on a rocky cliff high above the sea and overlooking a deep wooded ravine. In 1535, the monastery was swept by fire destroying it. Reconstruction began quickly and by 1547 the principal [[church]] of the monastery, the [[katholikon]], had been built and painted with several murals by the Cretan painter Tzortis. A golden [[iconostasis]] was added in the eighteenth century. Around the katholikon are number of [[chapel]]s including one that is dedicated to the Virgin Mary. Inside the monastery walls, a 25 meter high (80 feet) defensive tower was built in 1520. The tower was used periodically for safe keeping of the monastery's library. A dynamic community of [[monk]]s now inhabits Dionysiou and has undertaken the job of renovating and redecorating the older buildings.
 +
 
 +
==Treasury==
 +
The well organized monastery library contains many old documents, including 804 codices and more than 5,000 old printed books. Among the holdings are [[Gospel]]s (Evangels) from the eleventh century as well as chrysobulls (golden bulls) and manuscripts. Among these manuscripts is an illuminated Gospel from the thirteenth century.
 +
 
 +
The relics of St. Niphon, Patriarch of Constantinople, are housed in a special crypt in the katholikon.
 +
 +
==External link==
 +
*[http://inathos.gr/athos/en/  Mount Athos site]
 +
 
 +
[[Category:Monasteries]]
 +
[[Category:Athonite Monasteries]]
 +
[[Category:Greek Monasteries]]
 +
 
 +
[[fr:Monastère de Dionysiou]]

Revision as of 04:13, June 10, 2008

Holy Monastery of Dionysiou
Rank or attached monastery Fifth
Type of community Cenobitic Monastery
Founded 1300s by St Dionysios of Koreseos
Superior unknown
Approx. size unknown
Location Southwest
Liturgical language(s) Greek
Music used Byzantine chant
Feastdays celebrated St. John the Baptist

The Dionysiou Monastery is one of the twenty monasteries located on the peninsula of Mount Athos in northeastern Greece. The monastery is on the southwestern side of the peninsula. Dionysiou ranks fifth in the hierarchical order on Mount Athos and is dedicated to St. John the Baptist.

History

Dionysiou Monastery was founded in the fourteenth century by St. Dionysios of Koreseos. The golden bull (chyrsobull) authorizing the founding of the monastery was signed in 1374 by Alexios II Comneno. A treasure, the bull is kept in the monastery. Construction proceeded with financial aid from emperor Alexios III Comnenos.

The monastery is built along the western coast of the peninsula on a rocky cliff high above the sea and overlooking a deep wooded ravine. In 1535, the monastery was swept by fire destroying it. Reconstruction began quickly and by 1547 the principal church of the monastery, the katholikon, had been built and painted with several murals by the Cretan painter Tzortis. A golden iconostasis was added in the eighteenth century. Around the katholikon are number of chapels including one that is dedicated to the Virgin Mary. Inside the monastery walls, a 25 meter high (80 feet) defensive tower was built in 1520. The tower was used periodically for safe keeping of the monastery's library. A dynamic community of monks now inhabits Dionysiou and has undertaken the job of renovating and redecorating the older buildings.

Treasury

The well organized monastery library contains many old documents, including 804 codices and more than 5,000 old printed books. Among the holdings are Gospels (Evangels) from the eleventh century as well as chrysobulls (golden bulls) and manuscripts. Among these manuscripts is an illuminated Gospel from the thirteenth century.

The relics of St. Niphon, Patriarch of Constantinople, are housed in a special crypt in the katholikon.

External link

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox
In other languages