Dionysios (Makrogamvrakis) of New England
Revision as of 21:16, December 19, 2013 by Pistevo
His Eminence Archbishop Dionysios (Makrogamvrakis) of New England is the head of the Former Exarchate of the Patriarchate of Alexandria in America, which is a group outside the Orthodox Church.
- 1919 Aug 15: Born in Heraklion, Crete.
- 1934-37: Studied at seminary in Pytagoraia Government Institute in Heraklion
- 1937: Tonsured monk at Iviron Monastery, Mt Athos.
- 1940: Ordained deacon.
- 1943: Ordained deacon by Metr. Lerotheos of Militoupoleos, Greece, at request of Iviron Moastery.
- Studied Patristics and Theology for over 14 years.
- During pilgrimage, appointed Superior of the Monastery of St Peter and the Holy Mother of God Shrine in Nazareth.
- Before 1945: Appointed member of ecclesiastical court under Metr. Isidoros.
- 1945: Appointed Superior of the monastery of the Wedding at Cana, Galilee. Served there until 1960.
- 1960: Patriarch Benedictos appointed him Superior at the Monastery of Charalambos, Jerusalem, and as priest at the Cathedral of Sts Constantine and Helen in Jerusalem.
- 1961: Appointed superior of Holy Cross Theological School, Jerusalem. Also studied Greek, Hebrew, Russian and English at Hebrew University.
- 1963: With permission of Patr Benedictos, returned to Iviron to seek permission to travel to USA.
- Mid-1963: Arrived in America, serving (until 1964) as priest at St Markella Orthodox Church, Astoria, under Bp Petros (Astifitheso).
- 1966: Transferred to Church of Resurrection in Pawtucket, Rhode Island.
- 1971: Archim. Dionysios elected bishop. Consecrated on Mar 7 by Bishops Andreas and Anthony. Church elevated to Cathedral. Served here until 1980.
- 1980: Moved to Memphis, Tennessee, and raised St George Church to Cathedral.
- 1983 Jan 11: Requested to serve as Exarch, based in Pawtucket.
- 1986: Served church in Mississauga, Ontario.
- 2013: Elected Archim. Prokopios (Kanavas) as Metropolitan of Adelaide.