Diocese of Mtskheta and Tbilisi

From OrthodoxWiki
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m (links)
 
(24 intermediate revisions by 6 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
Diocese of Mtskheta and Tbilisi was formed after the unite of two Georgian ancient episcopacies of [[Mtskheta]] and Tbilisi. After resotration of [[autocephaly]] (1917) second Church Council on July 20, 1920 year these two dioceses were united under omophor of Georgian patriarch and the words “Archbishop of Mtskheta and Tbilisi
+
The '''Diocese of Mtskheta and Tbilisi''' is the united [[see]] of the [[Catholicos]]-[[Patriarch]] of the [[Church of Georgia]]. Mtskheta and Tbilisi were originally separate [[diocese]]s. The episcopacies of the two [[diocese]]s were first united after the union in 1811 of the Church of Georgia with the [[Church of Russia]] as the seat of the [[Exarch]] of Georgia. Although separated initially following the All-Russian Sobor of 1917, the dioceses were again united in 1920 after the Church of Georgia regained [[autocephaly]].
 +
 
 +
==History==
 +
Christianity came to Georgia in the early fourth century through the missionary work of [[Nino of Cappadocia]] and was proclaimed the official religion of Eastern Georgia by St. King Mirian of Iberia (remembered [[October 1]]). At the time, the churches in Georgia were part of the [[Church of Antioch|Apostolic See of Antioch]] with a [[diocese]] established at Mtskheta. Mtskheta became recognized as the spiritual center of Christian Georgia, being recorded in Georgian and foreign manuscripts as the "Apostolic Church of Mtskheta", the "Throne of Mtskheta", and "Patriarchate of Mtskheta". Thus, the [[bishop]] of Mtskheta became recognized as the Primate of the Church of Georgia.
 +
 
 +
[[Image:Sveti.jpg|thumb|left|[[Svetitskhoveli Cathedral (Mtskheta, Georgia)|Svetitskhoveli Cathedral]] (Mtskheta) Under this column is buried the Holy Vesture of our Lord]]
 +
In 466, the Church of Georgia was granted [[autocephaly]] by the Patriarch of Antioch, who also elevated the bishop of Mtskheta to the honor of [[Catholicos]] of Kastli with a full title of  ''Archbishop of Mtskheta and Catholicos of Kartli'' (East Georgia).  His [[cathedra]] was in Mtskheta with two cathedrals—[[Svetitskhoveli Cathedral (Mtskheta, Georgia)|Svetitskhoveli]] and Samtavro.
 +
 
 +
During the reign of St. King [[Vakhtang I Gorgasali of Iberia|Vakhtang]] (commemorated [[November 30]]) twelve dioceses were founded in Kartli, and the Church of Georgia was also recognized as autocephalous by the [[Church of Constantinople|Constantinople]]. During the fourth and fifth centuries the capital of Georgia was Mtskheta; Tbilisi was only a castle. After death of King Vakhtang, his successor, Dachi began building a city at Tbilisi. The first church built in Tbilisi was Sioni which later became the cathedral of the bishop of Tbilisi.
 +
 
 +
[[Image:Sameba.jpg|thumb|right|Newly built Sameba (Holy Trinity) Cathedral in Tbilisi, at Elia Hill (1995-2004)]]
 +
The central dioceses of Georgia, Mtskheta and Tbilisi, despite being close to each other, functioned separately. As Tbilisi became the capital of kingdom the authority of the bishop of Tbilisi increased, but his see did not have any historical privileges. Additionally, during these times enemy forces were attacking the capital, Tbilisi. The wars dispersed the diocese as the inhabitants fled the city. Ultimately, Tbilisi came under Arabic rule for four centuries, from the seventh through the eleventh centuries. Even in the thirteenth century, according to ''Gangeba darbazobisa'' (Rules of Conventing), the Bishop of Tbilisi is recorded in the 29<sup>th</sup> place on the inter-ecclesiastical [[diptych]].
 +
 
 +
At the end of seventeenth century Catholicos-Patriarch Ioane gave the title of Metropolitan to the Bishop of Tbilisi. Then, in 1794, King Erekle II of Kartli and Kakheti not only agreed with this decision but he returned the previous honor to Bishop of Tbilisi. In the decree the King said: the "Bishop of Tbilisi had a higher place in Church at councils... even when it was not capital, but Kutaisi... and he had privileges". The hierarchs of Tbilisi continued to use the title and privileges until the unions of Georgia with Russia and the Church of Georgia with the [[Church of Russia]]. At that time the two dioceses of Mtskheta and Tbilisi were joined under the omophor of the [[Exarch of Georgia]].
 +
 
 +
With the restoration of autocephaly in 1917 the separate dioceses of Mtskheta and Tbilisi were restored. At the second Church Council on [[July 20]], 1920 these two dioceses were again united, now under the omophor of the Georgian patriarch, and the words "Archbishop of Mtskheta and Tbilisi" were added to primatial title.
 +
 
 +
==The Diocese==
 +
The Diocese of Mtskheta and Tbilisi includes Tbilisi, which is the capital city of Georgia and the city and district of Mtskheta, except Tsilkani. There are three Patriarchal cathedrae in the diocese, Svetitskhoveli in Mtskheta, Sioni (Zion) and Sameba (Trinity) in Tbilisi.
 +
 
 +
There are 109 active churches in the diocese, and twelve [[monastery|monasteries]] of which seven are for males and five for females. The [[Tbilisi Theological Academy and Seminary]] is also located within the diocese.
 +
 
 +
==External link==
 +
*[http://www.osgf.ge/tta/  Tbilisi Theological Academy and Seminary]
 +
 
 +
 
 +
[[Category:Dioceses|Mtskheta and Tbilisi]]
 +
[[Category:Georgian Dioceses|Mtskheta and Tbilisi]]

Latest revision as of 16:28, July 19, 2010

The Diocese of Mtskheta and Tbilisi is the united see of the Catholicos-Patriarch of the Church of Georgia. Mtskheta and Tbilisi were originally separate dioceses. The episcopacies of the two dioceses were first united after the union in 1811 of the Church of Georgia with the Church of Russia as the seat of the Exarch of Georgia. Although separated initially following the All-Russian Sobor of 1917, the dioceses were again united in 1920 after the Church of Georgia regained autocephaly.

History

Christianity came to Georgia in the early fourth century through the missionary work of Nino of Cappadocia and was proclaimed the official religion of Eastern Georgia by St. King Mirian of Iberia (remembered October 1). At the time, the churches in Georgia were part of the Apostolic See of Antioch with a diocese established at Mtskheta. Mtskheta became recognized as the spiritual center of Christian Georgia, being recorded in Georgian and foreign manuscripts as the "Apostolic Church of Mtskheta", the "Throne of Mtskheta", and "Patriarchate of Mtskheta". Thus, the bishop of Mtskheta became recognized as the Primate of the Church of Georgia.

Svetitskhoveli Cathedral (Mtskheta) Under this column is buried the Holy Vesture of our Lord

In 466, the Church of Georgia was granted autocephaly by the Patriarch of Antioch, who also elevated the bishop of Mtskheta to the honor of Catholicos of Kastli with a full title of Archbishop of Mtskheta and Catholicos of Kartli (East Georgia). His cathedra was in Mtskheta with two cathedrals—Svetitskhoveli and Samtavro.

During the reign of St. King Vakhtang (commemorated November 30) twelve dioceses were founded in Kartli, and the Church of Georgia was also recognized as autocephalous by the Constantinople. During the fourth and fifth centuries the capital of Georgia was Mtskheta; Tbilisi was only a castle. After death of King Vakhtang, his successor, Dachi began building a city at Tbilisi. The first church built in Tbilisi was Sioni which later became the cathedral of the bishop of Tbilisi.

Newly built Sameba (Holy Trinity) Cathedral in Tbilisi, at Elia Hill (1995-2004)

The central dioceses of Georgia, Mtskheta and Tbilisi, despite being close to each other, functioned separately. As Tbilisi became the capital of kingdom the authority of the bishop of Tbilisi increased, but his see did not have any historical privileges. Additionally, during these times enemy forces were attacking the capital, Tbilisi. The wars dispersed the diocese as the inhabitants fled the city. Ultimately, Tbilisi came under Arabic rule for four centuries, from the seventh through the eleventh centuries. Even in the thirteenth century, according to Gangeba darbazobisa (Rules of Conventing), the Bishop of Tbilisi is recorded in the 29th place on the inter-ecclesiastical diptych.

At the end of seventeenth century Catholicos-Patriarch Ioane gave the title of Metropolitan to the Bishop of Tbilisi. Then, in 1794, King Erekle II of Kartli and Kakheti not only agreed with this decision but he returned the previous honor to Bishop of Tbilisi. In the decree the King said: the "Bishop of Tbilisi had a higher place in Church at councils... even when it was not capital, but Kutaisi... and he had privileges". The hierarchs of Tbilisi continued to use the title and privileges until the unions of Georgia with Russia and the Church of Georgia with the Church of Russia. At that time the two dioceses of Mtskheta and Tbilisi were joined under the omophor of the Exarch of Georgia.

With the restoration of autocephaly in 1917 the separate dioceses of Mtskheta and Tbilisi were restored. At the second Church Council on July 20, 1920 these two dioceses were again united, now under the omophor of the Georgian patriarch, and the words "Archbishop of Mtskheta and Tbilisi" were added to primatial title.

The Diocese

The Diocese of Mtskheta and Tbilisi includes Tbilisi, which is the capital city of Georgia and the city and district of Mtskheta, except Tsilkani. There are three Patriarchal cathedrae in the diocese, Svetitskhoveli in Mtskheta, Sioni (Zion) and Sameba (Trinity) in Tbilisi.

There are 109 active churches in the diocese, and twelve monasteries of which seven are for males and five for females. The Tbilisi Theological Academy and Seminary is also located within the diocese.

External link

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox