Diocese of Mtskheta and Tbilisi

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(some cleanup - needs much more!)
(major re-organization)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{cleanup}}
 
{{cleanup}}
Diocese of Mtskheta and Tbilisi was formed after the union of two Georgian ancient episcopacies of [[Mtskheta]] and Tbilisi. After restoration of [[autocephaly]] (1917) at the second Church Council on July 20, 1920 these two [[diocese]]s were united under omophor of the Georgian patriarch and the words “Archbishop of Mtskheta and Tbilisi
+
The '''Diocese of Mtskheta and Tbilisi''' is the united see of the Catholicos-Patriarch of the [[Church of Georgia]]. Mtskheta and Tbilisi were originally separate [[diocese]]s. The episcopacies of the two dioceses were first united after the union in 1811 of the Church of Georgia with the [[Church of Russia]] as the seat of the [[Exarch]] of Georgia. Although separated initially following the All-Russia Sobor of 1917, the dioceses were again united in 1920 after the Church of Georgia regained autocephaly.
 +
 
 +
==History==
 +
Christianity came to Georgia in the early fourth century through the missionary work of [[Nino of Cappadocia]] and was proclaimed the official religion of Eastern Georgia by St. King Miriam of Iberia (remembered [[October 1]]). At this time, the churches in Georgia were part of the [[Church of Antioch|Apostolic See of Antioch]] with a [[bishop]] established at Mtskheta. Mtskheta became recognized as the spiritual center of Christian Georgia, being recorded in Georgian and foreign manuscripts as the “Apostolic Church of Mtskheta

Revision as of 09:50, May 5, 2006

This article or section needs a cleanup to bring it to a higher standard of quality. Recommendation:
See talk page.
More detailed comments may be noted on the talk page. You can help OrthodoxWiki by editing it, especially to conform to the Style Manual and the suggestions in How to write a great article.

The Diocese of Mtskheta and Tbilisi is the united see of the Catholicos-Patriarch of the Church of Georgia. Mtskheta and Tbilisi were originally separate dioceses. The episcopacies of the two dioceses were first united after the union in 1811 of the Church of Georgia with the Church of Russia as the seat of the Exarch of Georgia. Although separated initially following the All-Russia Sobor of 1917, the dioceses were again united in 1920 after the Church of Georgia regained autocephaly.

History

Christianity came to Georgia in the early fourth century through the missionary work of Nino of Cappadocia and was proclaimed the official religion of Eastern Georgia by St. King Miriam of Iberia (remembered October 1). At this time, the churches in Georgia were part of the Apostolic See of Antioch with a bishop established at Mtskheta. Mtskheta became recognized as the spiritual center of Christian Georgia, being recorded in Georgian and foreign manuscripts as the “Apostolic Church of Mtskheta

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox