Diocese of Australia and New Zealand (ROCOR)
|Diocese of Australia and New Zealand (ROCOR)|
|Current bishop||Metr. Hilarion|
|Headquarters||Sydney, New South Wales, Australia|
|Territory||Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Indonesia|
|Liturgical language(s)||Slavonic, English, Greek, Korean, Indonesian|
|Musical tradition||Russian Chant|
|Official website||Diocese of Aust. & NZ|
The Diocese of Sydney, Australia and New Zealand, headquartered in Sydney, is a diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia. Its current primate is His Eminence Hilarion (Kapral), First Hierarch of ROCOR and Archbishop of Sydney, Australia and New Zealand.
- The first Russian parish established in Australia and New Zealand was St. Nicholas Church (now Cathedral), Brisbane, in 1926.
- The first ROCOR bishop of Australia and New Zealand was Bp Theodore (Rafalsky), 1948-55.
The Diocese of Australia and New Zealand is a diocese within the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia. Within the diocese, of which the Archbishop is the head and sole bishop, there are various deans who are in charge of one or more states. There are 24 parishes and communities, along with 6 monasteries and sketes across Australia, as well as 4 parishes and communities in New Zealand, and one mission-church in South Korea.
The Diocese of Australia and New Zealand of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia was a founding member of SCCOCA, but later departed.
In February 2005 His Grace Archbishop Hilarion received into the Diocese clergy and parishioners of the Indonesian Orthodox Church who were formerly under the jurisdiction of the Orthodox Metropolitanate of Hong Kong and Southeast Asia (Ecumenical Patriarchate), and there are now a growing number of parishes and mission centres scattered throughout Indonesia.
The Diocese of Australia and New Zealand, as a part of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia, was involved in the process to reenter communion with the Church of Russia. The Act of Canonical Communion between the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Church Abroad was signed on Ascension Thursday 17th May 2007 and Liturgy concelebrated in Moscow by Patriarch Alexiy and Metropolitan Laurus, ROCA's First Hierarch.
|This article forms part of the series|
|Orthodoxy in Australia Timeline |
Orthodoxy in New Zealand Timeline
Gk Orthodox Archd. of ANZ
|GOA Aus - Abp Stylianos|
Antiochian - Met Abp Paul
ROCOR - Met Hilarion
Serbian - Bp Irinej
Romanian - Bp Michael
GOM NZ - Met Amphilochios
| Episcopal Assembly of Oceania|
| Antiochian Orthodox |
Greek Orthodox (Aus)
O.L. of Kazan
|Proph. Elias |
St John Mtn
St Sava (Elaine)
|Edit this box|
- Metropolitan Hilarion (Kapral) of New York and Eastern America, Archbishop of Sydney, Australia and New Zealand.
- Archimandrite Daniel (Bambang Dwi) Byantoro, head of the Indonesian Orthodox Church (22 parishes).
- New South Wales (10 parishes)
- Archpriest Michael Klebansky, dean of Queensland (5 parishes)
- Archpriest Michael Protopopov, dean of Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and Western Australia (14 parishes)
- Archpriest Vladimir Boikov, dean of New Zealand (4 parishes)
- Priest Justin Kang, sole priest in South Korea.
Hierarchs in Australia
- Bishop Theodore (Rafalsky) of Sydney, 1948-1955.
- Bishop Philaret (Voznesensky) of Brisbane, 1963-1964.
- Bishop Sava (Rayevsky) of Sydney, 1955-1971.
- Bishop Anthony of Melbourne, 1956-1968
- Bishop Constantine (Essensky) of Brisbane, 1967-1976.
- Archbishop Theodosius (Putilin) of Sydney, 1970-1980.
- Archbishop Paul (Pavlov) of Sydney, Australia and New Zealand, 1980-1995.
- Bishop Gabriel (Chemodakov) of Brisbane, Vicar of the Australian Diocese, 1996-1997.
- Archbishop Hilarion (Kapral), Archbishop of Sydney, Australia and New Zealand, 1996-present.