Fr. Daniil Sysoev (1974 - 2009) was a married Russian Orthodox Priest, the rector of St. Thomas' church in southern Moscow and a noted missionary especially among Russia's Muslim community, neo-Pagans, and Protestants. He was killed in the church by a masked gunman on November 19, 2009.
In December 2009, Fr. Daniil's killing was claimed by a militant Islamic group based in the North Caucasus. According to a statement made by Russian Islamists and released on kavkazcentre.com:
- "One of our brothers who has never been to the Caucases took up the oath of (former independent Chechen president Doku Umarov) and expressed his desire to execute the damned Sysoyev"
- ↑ Sophia Kishkovsky. Russian Priest Killed in Church. The New York Times. November 19, 2009.
- ↑ Islamists claim killing of Russian priest. AFP. Dec. 25, 2009.
- Kevin O'Flynn. Murder Of Priest Highlights Missionary Role In Russian Church. Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty. December 01, 2009.
- The funeral of the Priest Daniil Sysoyev passed in Moscow. Interfax-Religion. November 23, 2009.
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to think about importance of missionary outreach. Interfax-Religion. November 23, 2009.
- Council of Muftis expresses condolences on priest's murder. Interfax-Religion. November 20, 2009.
- Moscow priest could have been killed by extremists, pagans – sources. Interfax-Religion. November 20, 2009.
- Patriarch Kirill offers condolences over death of the priest. Interfax-Religion. November 20, 2009.
- Famous Orthodox priest killed in Moscow. Interfax-Religion. November 20, 2009.
- Fr. Daniil's blog in LJ