Fr. Daniil Sysoev (1974 - 2009) was a married Russian Orthodox Priest, the rector of St. Thomas' church in southern Moscow and a noted missionary, especially among Russia's Muslim community, neo-Pagans, and Protestants. He was killed in the church by a masked gunman on November 19, 2009.
In December 2009, Fr. Daniil's killing was claimed by a militant Islamic group based in the North Caucasus. According to a statement made by Russian Islamists and released on kavkazcentre.com:
- "One of our brothers who has never been to the Caucases took up the oath of (former independent Chechen president Doku Umarov) and expressed his desire to execute the damned Sysoyev"
- ↑ Sophia Kishkovsky. Russian Priest Killed in Church. The New York Times. November 19, 2009.
- ↑ Islamists claim killing of Russian priest. AFP. Dec. 25, 2009.
- Fr Daniil Sysoev at Wikipedia.
- Kevin O'Flynn. Murder Of Priest Highlights Missionary Role In Russian Church. Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty. December 01, 2009.