Revision as of 11:07, February 2, 2005 by FrJohn
Preparing for Confession
Reflection on the Ten Commandments is often recommended as part of an examination of conscience.
Frequency of Confession
- The secrecy of the Mystery of Penance is considered an unquestionable rule in the entire Orthodox Church. Theologically, the need to maintain the secrecy of confession comes from the fact that the priest is only a witness before God. One could not expect a sincere and complete confession if the penitent has doubts regarding the practice of confidentiality. Betrayal of the secrecy of confession will lead to canonical punishment of the priest.
- St. Nicodemus the Hagiorite exhorts the Spiritual Father to keep confessions confidential, even under strong constraining influence. The author of the Pedalion (the Rudder), states that a priest who betrays the secrecy of confession is to be deposed. The Metropolitan of Kos, Emanuel, mentions in his handbook (Exomologeteke) for confessors that the secrecy of confession is a principle without exception.
- Confession and Communion - by Protopresbyter Alexander Schmemann (Accepted and Approved by the Holy Synod of Bishops of the Orthodox Church in America, February 17, 1972)
- Some reflections on Confession - by Protopresbyter Alexander Schmemann (Paper discussed at the Alumni Retreat, St. Andrew’s Camp, June 20-22, 1961)
Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese
- Parish Handbook for Confession - Fr. Isaac Henke
Greek Orthodox Resources
- Repentance and Confession - An introduction by John Chryssavgis
- Preparation for Holy Confession - from the Greek Orthodox Department of Religious Education
- Young People and Confession by Fr. Milton Efthimiou
- GOARCH Multimedia - Sacraments Series - The Sacrament of Penance - in RealMedia format
Orthodox Church in America
- Penance - in The Orthodox Faith by Fr. Thomas Hopko
Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)
- How to Make a Confession in Orthodox America
- The Sacrament Of Confession - from St Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church, Dallas Texas (ROCOR)
- Articles on Confession from OrthodoxInfo.com
- The Mercy Of Confession by Terry Mattingly. publised in Again Magazine (2000)
- In Passion Week - by Anton Chekhov
- A Siberian Grandmother on Confession in FOMA: An Orthodox Christian Journal for Doubting Thomases