Church of St. Catherine (Beirut, Lebanon)
The Saint Catherine’s parish is located in Ashrafieh, an eastern district of Beirut, the capital of Lebanon. A broad Lebanese Greek Orthodox community resides in this district. The Saint Catherine’s parish is one of eleven parishes falling under the jurisdiction of the Greek orthodox Metropolitan of Beirut and its dependencies.
Saint Catherine’s church is located in the Saint Catherine’s Monastery and is the worship place of both the parish and the monastery that includes also the Zahret El Ihsan school.
The address of the Monastery is the following: Zahret el Ihsan street, Ashrafieh, Beirut, Lebanon
In 1976 and with the beginning of the civil war in Lebanon, the Saint Catherine’s church became parochial when the metropolitan of Beirut H.E. Elia (born Saliby) designated Father Elia (born Issa; 1916 – 2003) as pastor of the church and the new parish, and Mr Elias Geahchan (1910 – 2006) as church’s mandatary.
Later on in 1994, Fr Elia Issa was promoted by H.E. the present metropolitan Elias (born Audi), to the archimandrite title, and served the parish until his death. Archimandrite Seraphim (born Bardawil) is the present pastor of the parish, assisted by Fr Stephanos (born Abdelnour)
The parish includes 550 households and covers a part of Ashrafieh, an eastern district of Beirut. It neighbors four other parishes: Annunciation of Our Lady to the west, Saint Nicholas to the north, Saint Dimitri and Presentation of Our Lady to the east.
The Divine Liturgy is celebrated on:
Sunday morning at 9:30 AM, preceded by the Matins at 8:30 AM
Saturday morning at 8:30 AM, preceded by the Matins at 7:30 AM
Wednesday evening at 6:00 PM
Sunday vespers are celebrated on Saturday evening at 5:00 PM