Church of John Climacus (Warsaw)

From OrthodoxWiki
Revision as of 15:07, March 6, 2009 by Bag (Talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search

Church of John Climacus is a church located in Warsaw, Wola district, Wolska Street.

The church was built from 1902 to 1905 on demand of archbishop Hieronim (Egzemplarski), who wanted to conmemorate the memory of his son, a painter, died in October 1902 in Pyatigorsk, Russia. Both father and son were then buried in the church's basement.

The church is built from white bricks and mixes the Old Russian style with contemporary Modernism. The architect was inspired by churches in the area of Rostov. The iconostasis was constructed by Aleksandr Murashko and the frescoes by Jerzy Nowosielski, a Polish twentieth century painter.

Sources

  • K. Sokoł, A. Sosna, Kopuły nad Wisłą. Prawosławne cerkwie w centralnej Polsce w latach 1815-1915, Moskwa, MID "Synergia" 2003, ISBN 5-7368-0301-2
Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox