Church of John Climacus (Warsaw)

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(category)
m (some cleanup)
Line 1: Line 1:
'''Church of John Climacus''' is a church located in Warsaw, Wola district, Wolska Street.  
+
'''Church of John Climacus''', of the [[Church of Poland]], is a [[church]] located on Wolska Street of the Wola district in Warsaw, Poland.  
  
The church was built from 1902 to 1905 on demand of archbishop Hieronim (Egzemplarski), who wanted to conmemorate the memory of his son, a painter, died in October 1902 in Pyatigorsk, Russia. Both father and son were then buried in the church's basement.  
+
The church was built between 1902 and 1905 under the direction of [[Archbishop]] Hieronim (Egzemplarski), who wanted to commemorate the memory of his son, a painter, who died in October 1902 in Pyatigorsk, Russia. Both father and son have been buried in the basement of the church.  
  
The church is built from white bricks and mixes the Old Russian style with contemporary Modernism. The architect was inspired by churches in the area of Rostov. The [[iconostasis]] was constructed by Aleksandr Murashko and the [[fresco]]es by Jerzy Nowosielski, a Polish twentieth century painter.  
+
The church is built from white bricks, and the architecture mixes the Old Russian style with contemporary Modernism. The architect was inspired by churches in the area of Rostov, Russia. The [[iconostasis]] was constructed by Alexander Murashko and the [[fresco]]es were done by Jerzy Nowosielski, a twentieth century Polish painter.  
  
 
== Sources ==
 
== Sources ==
 
*  K. Sokoł, A. Sosna, ''Kopuły nad Wisłą. Prawosławne cerkwie w centralnej Polsce w latach 1815-1915'', Moskwa, MID "Synergia" 2003, ISBN 5-7368-0301-2
 
*  K. Sokoł, A. Sosna, ''Kopuły nad Wisłą. Prawosławne cerkwie w centralnej Polsce w latach 1815-1915'', Moskwa, MID "Synergia" 2003, ISBN 5-7368-0301-2
  
[[Category:Churches]]
+
[[Category:Churches|John]]
[[Category:Polish Churches]]
+
[[Category:Polish Churches|john]]

Revision as of 16:07, March 6, 2009

Church of John Climacus, of the Church of Poland, is a church located on Wolska Street of the Wola district in Warsaw, Poland.

The church was built between 1902 and 1905 under the direction of Archbishop Hieronim (Egzemplarski), who wanted to commemorate the memory of his son, a painter, who died in October 1902 in Pyatigorsk, Russia. Both father and son have been buried in the basement of the church.

The church is built from white bricks, and the architecture mixes the Old Russian style with contemporary Modernism. The architect was inspired by churches in the area of Rostov, Russia. The iconostasis was constructed by Alexander Murashko and the frescoes were done by Jerzy Nowosielski, a twentieth century Polish painter.

Sources

  • K. Sokoł, A. Sosna, Kopuły nad Wisłą. Prawosławne cerkwie w centralnej Polsce w latach 1815-1915, Moskwa, MID "Synergia" 2003, ISBN 5-7368-0301-2
Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox