Church of John Climacus (Warsaw)
|(One intermediate revision by one user not shown)|
|Line 13:||Line 13:|
[[Category: Churches |
Latest revision as of 13:12, October 22, 2012
The church was built between 1902 and 1905 under the direction of Archbishop Hieronim (Egzemplarski), who wanted to commemorate the memory of his son, a painter, who died in October 1902 in Pyatigorsk, Russia. Both father and son have been buried in the basement of the church.
The church is built from white bricks, and the architecture mixes the Old Russian style with contemporary Modernism. The architect was inspired by churches in the area of Rostov, Russia. The iconostasis was constructed by Alexander Murashko and the frescoes were done by Jerzy Nowosielski, a twentieth century Polish painter.