Church of Dormition (Szczebrzeszyn)

From OrthodoxWiki
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(new)
 
(revised category)
 
(5 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
'''Church of Dormition in Szczebrzeszyn''' is a church built in XII century,  
+
'''Church of Dormition''' located in Szczebrzeszyn, Poland is a [[parish]] of the [[Church of Poland]]. The [[church]], that was built in twelfth century, is the oldest structure used as an Orthodox church in Poland,  
  
 
== History ==
 
== History ==
According to the newest archaeological research, the first church in Szczebrzeszyn was built around XII century as a Roman Catholic church later confiscated by Górka family and given to the Orthodox. In 1583 the church was seriously damaged during a fire of the whole town. It was quickly rebuilt as an [[Union of Brest|Uniate]] church and given back to the Orthodox only in 1867.  
+
According to recent archaeological research, the first church in Szczebrzeszyn was built around twelfth century as a [[Roman Catholic Church|Roman Catholic]] church. Later, it was confiscated by Górka family and given to the Orthodox Church. In 1583, the church was seriously damaged during a fire that engulfed the whole town. It was quickly rebuilt as an [[Union of Brest|Uniate]] church and given back to the Orthodox only in 1867.  
  
During the First World War most of the Orthodox population (Russian or Ukrainian by nationality) left Szczebrzeszyn, leaving the church abandoned. After Poland regained its independence, the new authorities did not allow to re-open the church, claiming that it would become a centre of anti-Polish agitation. In 1938 the church was about to be destroyed; however, strong protests from both Orthodox community and the local intellectuals persuaded the authorities not to ruin it completely. However, they didn't allow to open it either. In 1947, after mass deportations of Ukrainians ordered by Polish Stalinist government, the church was turned into a store, then abandoned again.  
+
During the World War I most of the Orthodox population (Russian or Ukrainian by nationality) left Szczebrzeszyn, leaving the church abandoned. After Poland regained its independence following the war, the new government did not allow it to re-open as a church, claiming that it would become a centre of anti-Polish agitation. In 1938, the church building was about to be destroyed. However, strong protests from both the Orthodox community and local intellectuals persuaded the authorities not to destroy it completely. However, they did not allow to it to be open either. In 1947, after the mass deportations of Ukrainians ordered by Polish Stalinist government, the church was turned into a store, then later abandoned.  
  
In 1989, after the fall of "real socialism" in Poland the reconstruction works were finally begun that lasted until 2006 because of lack of financial means. In the same year the church was given back to Orthodox Eparchy of Lublin. In March 2008 the European Union subventionned further reconstruction works, donating over 1 million euros as a part of a program aimed to save the cultural heritage on the continent. They are being spent mainly on reconstruction of church's frescoes, painted succesively from XVIth to XIXth century.  
+
In 1989, after the fall of "real socialism" in Poland, reconstruction of the church building finally began. The reconstruction work lasted until 2006 because of a lack of funds. Also, in 2006, the church was returned to the  Eparchy of Lublin of the Church of Poland. In March 2008, the European Union provided financial aid for further reconstruction work, donating over 1 million euros as a part of a program aimed at saving things of the cultural heritage in Europe. The funds are being spent mainly on reconstruction of church's frescoes that were originally painted between the sixteenth and nineteenth centuries.  
  
The church in Szczebrzeszyn is the oldest Orthodox building in Poland, its original inventory was hovewer completely lost due to XXth century devastation.  
+
The church in Szczebrzeszyn is the oldest Orthodox building in Poland.  However, its original inventory of furnishings was completely lost due to devastation during the twentieth century.  
  
[[Category:Churches]]
+
[[Category:Churches|Dormition]]
 +
[[Category:Churches in Poland|Dormition]]
 +
[[Category:Orthodoxy in Poland|Dormition]]

Latest revision as of 12:05, October 22, 2012

Church of Dormition located in Szczebrzeszyn, Poland is a parish of the Church of Poland. The church, that was built in twelfth century, is the oldest structure used as an Orthodox church in Poland,

History

According to recent archaeological research, the first church in Szczebrzeszyn was built around twelfth century as a Roman Catholic church. Later, it was confiscated by Górka family and given to the Orthodox Church. In 1583, the church was seriously damaged during a fire that engulfed the whole town. It was quickly rebuilt as an Uniate church and given back to the Orthodox only in 1867.

During the World War I most of the Orthodox population (Russian or Ukrainian by nationality) left Szczebrzeszyn, leaving the church abandoned. After Poland regained its independence following the war, the new government did not allow it to re-open as a church, claiming that it would become a centre of anti-Polish agitation. In 1938, the church building was about to be destroyed. However, strong protests from both the Orthodox community and local intellectuals persuaded the authorities not to destroy it completely. However, they did not allow to it to be open either. In 1947, after the mass deportations of Ukrainians ordered by Polish Stalinist government, the church was turned into a store, then later abandoned.

In 1989, after the fall of "real socialism" in Poland, reconstruction of the church building finally began. The reconstruction work lasted until 2006 because of a lack of funds. Also, in 2006, the church was returned to the Eparchy of Lublin of the Church of Poland. In March 2008, the European Union provided financial aid for further reconstruction work, donating over 1 million euros as a part of a program aimed at saving things of the cultural heritage in Europe. The funds are being spent mainly on reconstruction of church's frescoes that were originally painted between the sixteenth and nineteenth centuries.

The church in Szczebrzeszyn is the oldest Orthodox building in Poland. However, its original inventory of furnishings was completely lost due to devastation during the twentieth century.

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
Navigation
interaction
Donate

Please consider supporting OrthodoxWiki. FAQs

Toolbox