m (Link correction)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
'''Christos Yannaras''' or '''Chrestos Giannaras''')is philosopher and theologian of the Orthodox [[Church of Greece]].
Yannaras was born on [[April 10]], 1935, in Athens, Greece. He studied
Yannaras was born on [[April 10]], 1935, in Athens, Greece. He studied Athens Bonn, and Paris from the University of Thessaloniki and the University of Sorbonne .
is of philosophy at of .
Revision as of 09:39, February 23, 2010
Christos Yannaras or Chrestos Giannaras, (Greek: Χρήστος Γιανναράς), is Professor Emeritus of Philosophy at the Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences in Athens and a philosopher and theologian of the Orthodox Church of Greece.
Dr. Yannaras was born on April 10, 1935, in Athens, Greece. He studied Theology at the University of Athens and Philosophy at the Universities of Bonn, Germany and Paris in France. He has earned Doctor of Philosophy degrees from the Faculty of Theology of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in Greece and from the Faculté des Lettres et Sciences Humaines of the University of Sorbonne in Paris. In addition to other honors, he was elected a member of the Hellenic Author's Society.
The main area of Professor Yannaras' work is in the study and research of the differences between Greek and Western European philosophy and tradition. These differences are not limited solely at the level of theory, but also define a mode (praxis) of life.
Books in English
- Person and Eros. Holy Cross Orthodox Press, 2008. (ISBN 978-1885652-881)
- Orthodoxy and the West: Hellenic Self-Identity in the Modern Age. Holy Cross Orthodox Press, 2007. (ISBN 978-1885652812)
- Postmodern Metaphysics. Holy Cross Orthodox Press, 2005. (ISBN 1-885652-80-1)
- On the Absence and Unknowability of God: Heidegger and the Areopagite. T & T Clark, 2005. (ISBN 0567088065) first published in 1967
- Variations on the Song of Songs. Holy Cross Orthodox Press, 2004. (ISBN 1885652828)
- Elements of Faith: An Introduction to Orthodox Theology. T & T Clark, 1991. (ISBN 0567291901)
- The Freedom of Morality. Crestwood, NY: St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, 1984. (ISBN 0881410284)
- Christos Yannaras in the Saint Pachomius Library
- A review of Elements of Faith given by Reader Nicholas Franck
- "Towards a New Ecumenism" by Christos Yannaras
- "Pietism as an Ecclesiological Heresy" by Christos Yannaras (Chapter 8 of The Freedom of Morality)
- "The Ethos of Liturgical Art" by Christos Yannaras (Chapter 12 of The Freedom of Morality)
- "A Note on Political Theory" by Christos Yannaras (St. Vladimir's Theological Quarterly, 27:1 (1983), pp. 53-56)
- "The Distinction Between Essence and Energies and its Importance for Theology" by Christos Yannaras, Athens, February, 1975. Translated from the Greek by Rev. Peter Chamberas
- Free PDFs of some of Christos Yannaras's writings