Australian jurisdictions without a local bishop
|This article forms part of the series|
Orthodoxy in Australia
|Orthodoxy in Australia Timeline |
Statistics of Orthodoxy in Australia
Gk Orthodox Archd. of ANZ
|GOA Aus - Abp Stylianos|
Antiochian - Met Abp Paul
ROCOR - Met Hilarion
Serbian - Bp Irinej
Romanian - Bp Michael
Without local bishop
| Antiochian Orthodox |
Greek Orthodox (Aus)
O.L. of Kazan
|Proph. Elias |
St John Mtn
St Sava (Elaine)
|Edit this box|
This article seeks to serve as a catch-all point for the jurisdictions in Australia who are small enough to not warrant a resident bishop - both current (Bulgarian Orthodox Diocese and Moscow Patriarchal parishes) and former (Orthodox Church in America and Polish Orthodox Church Abroad).
Bulgarian Eastern Orthodox Diocese in the USA, Canada and Australia
- Number of Parishes: Three in Australia.
- Hierarch: Metropolitan Joseph of the USA, Canada and Australia.
- Began: First parish in 1950.
- Sydney: St John of Rila Bulgarian Eastern Orthodox Church. 
- Melbourne: Sts Cyril and Methodius Bulgarian Eastern Orthodox Church. 
- Adelaide: St Petka Bulgarian Eastern Orthodox Church. 
Moscow Patriarchate in Australia
- Number of Parishes: Two in Australia.
- Hierarch: Bishop Mark of Yegoryevsk, Head of Special Secretariat of the Patriarchal Chancellery for Administration of Patriarchal Establishments Outside the Patriarchal Territories.
- Began: First parish in 1988.
- Sydney: Holy Protection Orthodox Church, Blacktown. Established 1988. 
- Melbourne: Russian Orthodox Church of the Holy Trinity, Collingwood. Established 1989. 
- Newcastle: Parish of the Theophany, Mayfield West. Established 1996, since closed (c.2010)
Orthodox Church in America - Parishes in Australia
main article: Parishes in Australia (OCA)
- Number of Parishes: None.
- Began: 1971, in ROCOR schism.
- Sydney: St Nicholas Orthodox Church, Bankstown. Parish left ROCOR for OCA in 1971, and canonically transferred to the Antiochian Archdiocese in 2001.
- Brisbane: Holy Annunciation Orthodox Church, Woolloongabba. Priest left ROCOR in 1971, began a new OCA parish in 1974; parish canonically transferred to ROCOR in 2009.
- Sydney: Australian Orthodox Fraternity of St Michael, Homebush. Laypeople left ROCOR in 1971, and began a new OCA parish. Parish canonically transferred to the Serbian Diocese in 2011.
- Ended: 2011.
Polish Orthodox Church in Australia
- Number of Parishes: none.
- Began: 1969, with two priests who left ROCOR and were received as priests in the Polish Orthodox Church Abroad (under the Ecumenical Patriarchate).
- Ended: Uncertain; however, both priests became priests of OCA parishes.
- Bulgarian Eastern Orthodox Diocese in the USA, Canada and Australia
- Moscow Patriarchal Church Blacktown
- A Russian Presence: A history of the Russian Church in Australia, by V. Rev. Fr Michael Protopopov (page 239).
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found