Archdiocese of Athens
Revision as of 18:28, May 25, 2008 by Ixthis888
The current Archbishop of Athens is His Beatitude, Ieronymos II (Liapis), Archbishop of Athens and All Greece.
Moments in History
- Roman Athens
- Byzantine Period (Athens)
- Ottoman Turks Invade Greece (Athens)
- War of Independence (Athens)
- World War II (Athens)
- Post World War II (Athens)
- Military Dictatorship (Athens)
- Modern-Day Athens
Orthodox sites of pilgrimage
- Metropolis Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Monastiraki
- The 1862 Metropolis Cathedral dominates the Mitropoleos Square, which is in the heart of Athens in Greece, and is the archiepiscopal Greek Orthodox church of Athens.
- The decision to move the capital of the young Greek state to Athens in 1834 made it imperative to build a large new cathedral here. Construction started in 1839 and was completed in 1863. Since that time, this building, decorated with fine murals and icons, has been Greece's most important church, used for official occasions.
- The Church of Panagia Gorgoepikoos and St. Eleutherios, Monastiraki
- Far more significant histroically and archaeologically is the small 12-century church of Panagia Gorgoepikoos (She who is Swift to Hear). It is known as the Little Metropolis and is a cruciform-style church built from marble and using reliefs and pieces of ancient and early Christian monuments. It is also known as the church of St. Eleutherios.
- Byzantine Museum (Athens)
- Aeropagite Hill, the Agora of Athens
- Cave of Panagia Chrysospiliotissa, the Acropolis of Athens
- Church of Agios Dimitrios Loumbardiaris, Filopappos Hill (also nick named Demetri the Bombadier)
- Church of Agia Marina (Filopappos), Filopappos Hill
- This tiny little church is often referred to as the little Metropolis since it is next to the Metropolis church of Athens.
- Panagia Grigoroussa
- Agias Apostoli
- Agia Ekaterini
- Agios Georgios, Lykavittos Hill
- Kesariani, Mount Hymettos
|This article is marked as in progress by Ixthis888, who is actively developing it. It has yet to achieve a stable or complete form and is currently being worked on. Please carefully consider before making major edits to this article.|