|(4 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)|
|Line 29:||Line 29:|
Latest revision as of 08:15, October 22, 2012
The holy, glorious and all-laudable Apostle Titus was born into idolatry on Crete, though he was of Greek origin. Having believed in Christ through the Apostle Paul, he became Paul's disciple and follower and labored with him greatly in the preaching of the Gospel. He was one of the Seventy Apostles.
In Jerusalem, St. Titus heard Christ's preaching and believed in him. He then witnessed the suffering and death of the Savior on the Cross, his glorious Resurrection and Ascension to heaven. On the day of Pentecost the future apostle heard how the Twelve Apostles, after the descent of the Holy Spirit, spoke in various languages, among which was the Cretan language (Acts 2: 11).
St. Titus died peacefully at the age of 97 and is commemorated by the Church on August 25.
- Holy Apostles Bartholomew and Titus,
- Entreat the merciful God,
- To grant our souls forgiveness of transgressions.
Kontakion (Tone 2)
- Titus, worthy of all praise and preacher of Christ's mysteries,
- You were Paul's companion, and with him taught us the doctrine of God.
- Therefore we cry out to you:
- Never cease to intercede for the sake of us all!