The holy, glorious, all-laudable Apostle Sosthenes of the Seventy is commemorated by the Church on January 4 with the Seventy. St. Sosthenes is also remembered on March 30 with Apollos, Cephas, Caesar, and Epaphroditus of the Seventy. He is also remembered with Saints Apollos, Cephas, Tychicus, Epaphroditus, Caesar, and Onesiphorus on December 8.
In addressing the Corinthian church (I Corinthians 1:1), St Paul sent greetings from both of them: "Paul, by the will of God called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ, and brother Sosthenes..." Afterwards, St. Sosthenes was made bishop at Colophon in Asia Minor. He departed peacefully to the Lord.
- Holy apostle Sosthenes of the Seventy;
- Entreat the merciful;
- To grant our souls forgiveness of transgressions.
Kontakion (Tone 4)
- The Church ever sees you as a shining star, O apostle Sosthenes,
- Your miracles have manifested great enlightenment.
- Therefore we cry out to Christ:
- "Save those who with faith honor Your apostle, O Most Merciful One."