|Line 36:||Line 36:|
Latest revision as of 09:37, October 24, 2012
The holy, glorious and all-laudable Apostle Pudens (also Poudes) of the Seventy was chosen by Jesus Christ to preach the good news contained in the Gospel. His feast day is celebrated on April 14 or 15, and he is also commemorated on January 4 among the Seventy.
Saint Pudens was a preacher of God's Word as well as an esteemed member of the Roman Senate. The saint took Apostle Peter and Apostle Paul into his home when they were nearby. When the apostles dwelled in his home, Christians gathered there to hear their words. St. Pudens' house was eventually converted into a church with the name "Pastorum."
He gave up his life and became a martyr under Emperor Nero.
- Holy Apostle of Christ,
- Entreat the merciful God
- To grant our souls forgiveness of transgressions
Troparion (Tone 4) 
- Together let us honor the threefold choir of Christ's Apostles,
- Aristarchus, Pudens and the holy Trophimus.
- Like rivers filled with the wisdom of God
- They poured out the water of the Word for all the world.
- Through their intercessions, O Christ our God, have mercy on us!
- Apostles of Christ and laborers of the Savior,
- You are the light of the world.
- Intercede for us who praise your holy memory,
- And pray that we may be saved.