m (added ext. links, sorted cats)
m (→External links: ro)
|Line 20:||Line 20:|
Revision as of 12:15, April 16, 2008
The holy, glorious, all-laudable Apostle Parmenas was one of the original seven deacons chosen by the Twelve Apostles to minister to the Church of Jerusalem, according to the Acts of the Apostles. He was also one of the Seventy Apostles sent out by Jesus in the Gospel of Luke, chapter 10. After preaching for many years in Asia Minor, he settled down in Macedonia. Hippolytus says that Parmenas was the Bishop of Soli. He is thought to have died a martyr in Philippi, Macedonia, in the year 98 AD, during the persecution of the Christians under the Roman Emperor Trajan. The Church commemorates Apostle Parmenas on January 4 with the Seventy, and on July 28 with the seven deacons.
Troparion (Tone 3)
- Holy apostle Parmenas of the Seventy;
- entreat the merciful;
- to grant our souls forgiveness of transgressions.
Kontakion (Tone 4)
- The Church ever sees you as a shining star, O apostle Parmenas,
- Your miracles have manifested great enlightenment.
- Therefore we cry out to Christ:
- "Save those who with faith honor Your apostle, O Most Merciful One."