He gave up his life and became a martyr under Emperor Nero.
Appearances in the Bible
Acts of the Holy Apostles
"And the whole city was filled with confusion: and having caught Gaius and Aristarchus, men of Macedonia, Paul's companions in travel, they rushed with one accord into the theatre," (Acts 19:29)
"And there accompanied him into Asia Sopater of Berea; and of the Thessalonians, Aristarchus and Secundus; and Gaius of Derbe, and Timotheus; and of Asia, Tychicus and Trophimus," (Acts 20:4)
"And entering into a ship of Adramyttium, we launched, meaning to sail by the coasts of Asia; one Aristarchus, a Macedonian of Thessalonica, being with us." (Acts 27:2)
Epistles of Saint Paul
"Aristarchus my fellowprisoner saluteth you, and Marcus, sister's son to Barnabas, (touching whom ye received commandments: if he come unto you, receive him;)," (Colossians 4:10)
"Marcus, Aristarchus, Demas, Lucas, my fellowlabourers," (Philemon 1:24)
Troparion (Tone 3)
- Holy apostle Aristarchus of the Seventy;
- entreat the merciful;
- to grant our souls forgiveness of transgressions.
Troparion (Tone 4)
- Together let us honor the threefold choir of Christ's Apostles,
- Aristarchus, Pudens and the holy Trophimus.
- Like rivers filled with the wisdom of God
- They poured out the water of the Word for all the world.
- Through their intercessions, O Christ our God, have mercy on us!
Kontakion (Tone 1)
- Apostles of Christ and laborers of the Savior,
- You are the light of the world.
- Intercede for us who praise your holy memory,
- And pray that we may be saved.
Kontakion (Tone 4)
- The Church ever sees you as a shining star, O apostle Aristarchus,
- Your miracles have manifested great enlightenment.
- Therefore we cry out to Christ:
- "Save those who with faith honor Your apostle, O Most Merciful One."