|Line 35:||Line 35:|
Latest revision as of 03:28, October 25, 2012
The holy, glorious, all-laudable Apostle Agabus (also Agavos) was numbered among the Seventy Apostles. Possessing a prophetic spirit, he prophesied of a world-wide famine which came true during the reign of Caesar Claudius (Acts 11:28). He also prophesied to the Apostle Paul that he would be delivered into the hands of the Gentiles by the Jews in Jerusalem (Acts 21:11). The Apostle Paul mentions him in his epistles. The Church remembers St. Agabus on April 8.
- Let us praise in hymns the six–fold choir of Apostles:
- Herodion and Agabus,
- Rufus, Asyncritus, Phlegon and holy Hermes.
- They ever entreat the Trinity for our souls!
Kontakion (Tone 2)
- You became the disciples of Christ
- And all-holy Apostles,
- O glorious Herodion, Agabus and Rufus,
- Asyncritus, Phlegon and Hermes.
- Ever entreat the Lord
- To grant forgiveness of transgressions
- To us who sing your praises.
Kontakion (Tone 4)
- Like stars, O holy Apostles,
- You illumine the way of the faithful with the light of the Holy Spirit.
- You dispel the darkness of error as you gaze on God the Word!