Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Santiago and All Chile
m (Chile moved to Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Santiago and All Chile: Use standard headings for dioceses)
Revision as of 13:10, March 17, 2009
The Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of Santiago and All Chile is a Metropolia of The Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch with jurisdiction over all the Republic of Chile. Its ruling hierarch is Metropolitan Archbishop Sergios Abad.
The migration of Christian Arabs from Lebanon, Palestine, and Syria to different parts of the Americas during the late nineteenth Century and early twentieth century brought the Orthodox Faith to Chile.
In 1910, the first Orthodox Presbyteros arrives to Chile from Syria. On October 24, 1917, Saint George Cathedral in Santiago was inaugurated as the first Orthodox temple in Chile.
In 1978, His Beatitude Elias IV, Patriarch of Antioch visits Chile with a delegation of bishops.
In 1984, Chile receives the visit of His Beatitude Ignatius IV, Patriarch of Antioch and a delegation of Orthodox bishops.
In 1996, after being a Patriarchal Vicariate since 1951, the Orthodox Church in Chile was raised to the level of a Metropolia. His Most Reverend Eminence Sergios Abad was elected its first Metropolitan Archbishop.
The Archdiocese now has six parishes, and served by seven priests, four of whom have a degree in Theology. Services are conducted in Spanish, since most of the people that attend the church are Chilean citizens despite their Arab ancestry. There is also an increasing number of non-Arab Chileans who are joining Orthodoxy.