This page should serve as a reference for abbreviations relevant to the Orthodox Church. If there is an abbreviation you do not understand, leave a note on the talk page and someone will provide the answer.
Many clerical and lay titles are often abbreviated.
- Abp. - Archbishop
- Bp. - Bishop
- Dn. - Deacon (also Dcn.)
- Fr. - Father
- Hmk. - Hieromonk
- Kh. - Khouria (Arabic for presbytera)
- Mat. - Matushka (Slavic for presbytera)
- Metr. - Metropolitan
- Patr. - Patriarch
- Pr. - Preot (Romanian for priest)
- Pres. - Presbytera
- Rdr. - Reader
- Sdn. - Subdeacon
- Sf. - Sfânt (Romanian for saint)
- St. - Saint (plural: Sts. or Ss.)
In icons, many names and titles are abbreviated. This is often acknowledged with an elision marker (like a tilde) placed above the letters. Most often, the first and last letters of the word or name are retained.
- MP or ΜΡ - Mother from the Greek Μητηρ, part of the phrase Mother of God
- ΘΥ - of God from the Greek Θεου, part of the phrase Mother of God
- ΑΓ - Holy or Saint from the Greek Αγιος